Header Telephone

Creating Beautiful Spaces

T: 0333 444 0148

Party Wall Agreements

A party wall agreement is a legal agreement with your neighbours to commence building work which affects the jointly owned wall between the properties.

There are many myths surrounding party walls agreements and their process. One of the many concerns is that the neighbours will not sign the agreement, effectively blocking the work from taking place.

We strongly recommend you do not just put the notice through their letterbox with no prior explanation. Fear of the unknown is the reason why many party wall notices go into dissent.

There are many different types of notices. For example, underpinning a wall requires a  different notice than inserting an RSJ into the party wall and it is imperative to serve the correct notices.

The neighbour can then sign and agree to the works, or if they refuse, after 14 days it goes into dissent. Party wall surveyors are instructed at this point and you are legally required as the homeowner to pay for this.

The surveyors will request the drawings and structural calculations at this point, and a schedule of condition of the neighbours property may be recorded and agreed, along with photographic evidence. Once this has been completed, maybe with some other information an award will be drawn up and agreed, and after a short period of time the works can proceed.

If the notice goes into dissent, the typical cost of a surveyor is £700 per neighbour.


Our customers know us best